Sunday, June 17, 2012

PMC - The Father of our Home


I always think about these awesome feelings I want to write out, and then when I sit down to do it - I just can't quite figure out how to say it. I guess there really just is no way to adequately express the feeling of LOVE, especially when it is combined with the feeling of JOY. LOVE & JOY are such amazing feelings. No wonder so many poets attempt to write about them, and even as lovely as their poetry is, there is always a need for people to write more.
Our home has been filled with LOVE & JOY. And Pmc is the culprit. So, on this Father's Day, I just wanted to give him a little extra recognition for all his hard work and effort. When I went on my first date with Pmc, there was something about him that I just couldn't get over. I couldn't identify it at the time, but looking back I know that it was the way he knew how to prioritize relationships. I had kind of seen it in him as a missionary, but certainly didn't comprehend it. At that time he merely gained my respect as a missionary, even though it seemed many other missionaries didn't see the same thing. But after one evening one-on-one with him, it put me in a trance, and I've been in it ever since.

This one quality of his gave me so much confidence in him that it really didn't take me very long at all to realize that I truly loved him. In fact, we expressed that we loved each other on our 3rd date. Even now I think about that and call it crazy. I was pretty timid about love at the time, having barely gotten through my parents' divorce. My best friend at the time even suggested that we must have known each other better than I let on in the mission field. We didn't. The more time that goes by, I can only think it had to do with this quality. But I knew it was the right thing for us to get married.
After six months of marriage, we decided it was time to have children. I could have, at the time (and still can, thinking back) told you a thousand reasons that it would have been crazy to start having kids already. Not the least of which would have been our finances, and relative emotional/relational immaturity. We certainly had our fair share of issues at the time. Even now I've had good friends ask if I thought we jumped the gun a bit on having kids. Nope. Again, this quality of his gave me the utmost assurance that starting to grow our family was the right thing for us to do.
Pmc and I have made plenty of mistakes in our relationship. Getting married when we did, and having children when we have have certainly, in my mind, not been those mistakes. If anything, they are the precise things that have pulled both of us through. They are the things that have blessed us to learn the lessons we needed to learn in life. I can only presume this will continue. And I think all of this goes back to Pmc's ability to prioritize relationships. I'm not saying his priorities are always straight. Sometimes he does let other things get in the way of relationships. However, he ALWAYS gets it right if you give him a chance, an extra measure of love and understanding, and a little time.

This is something that I could tell from that very first date, although I would have been very hard-pressed to be able to express that that was what I saw.
So although life has not been easy, and we've made all sorts of mistakes, our home is filled with LOVE & JOY and we are as HAPPY a family as could posssibly be imagined. And I really think this little family of ours owes it all to Pmc. I am so grateful to have him as my best friend, my confidant, my lover, and the FATHER of our beautiful children.
I hope that someday our children will read this and know just how important they have always been to him. Because although he's not perfect, nor will he ever be in this life - he does love them, and will always prioritize them correctly, even if it takes some time sometimes to get it straightened out.

P.S. I love the first picture even though Cdc isn't looking at the camera - but this one just shows off the personalities we've got around here. Doesn't Pmc look good in his first real bow-tie? Cpc chose it!

1 comment:

Linda said...

So fun to see everyone looking so happy! Are you going to be up at the lake on July 7th? We're arriving with some on that day. Chelsia says that many of you will be at your moms and can come over for a barbecue. Your dad will be home and it will be fun to catch up. Is Brittani coming? We'd love to have your mom and Don too if they're there.

We'd love to see ya'll!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...