Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cdc and Sucking his Thumb

Remember how cute we thought Cdc was sucking his thumb? I really did think it was adorable, and I knew it was a great tool for him. And honestly I was perfectly happy with anything that meant a sleeping child after Cpc's sleep issues (p.s. he is still sleeping amazingly, he hasn't woken during the night in weeks!). Well, he only sucks his thumb when he has his dog, and we don't (except on rare occasions) allow that dog out of his bed. So really, the thumb-sucking has been an entirely sleep-associated thing. However, I have been starting to worry a little that if we don't stop the habit now it could become too ingrained to go without a big fight. So a few weeks ago when his callous on his thumb became so thick and hard that it tore and created an "owie" we took advantage of the situation. We put a band-aid on it with some Neosporin (or as Cpc likes to call it - "Food Lion" because it is leftover from Pmc's mission and that's the brand from the grocery store there right before bed and told him he was going to have to go to sleep without sucking his thumb. He struggled a little bit, but he totally understood what was happening and went to sleep like a champ. Well, we drew out the need for the band-aid for a few extra days after the entire callous peeled off. And then we one evening at bedtime I showed him his thumb and how it got all better because he wasn't sucking on it and that sucking his thumb was bad for his teeth too, and asked him to keep trying to sleep without it. And he did. For two weeks he went to sleep NO problem. He'd just put that dog-ear up to his nose and go to sleep. And then this last week he's started having a bit of a hard time going to bed, both at bedtime and naptime. I figured it might happen. But hey, as long as I cuddle him and sing him some lullaby's he does okay. So, Cdc - WAY TO GO!!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...