Monday, July 4, 2011

Quotes

As long as we're simplifying - I've been trying for a long time to figure out where to put our favorite quotes. I have finally decided that this is the place. So here's a bunch for now and we'll stick them on here in the future instead of losing them!

I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make a life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated, and a person humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, --- we help them become what they are capable of becoming.
~Goethe

“My message to you today, my brothers and sisters, is simply this: the Lord is in control. He knows the end from the beginning. He has given us adequate instruction that, if followed, will see us safely through any crisis. His purposes will be fulfilled, and someday we will understand the eternal reasons for all of these events. Therefore, today we must be careful to not overreact, nor should we be caught up in extreme preparations; but what we must do is keep the commandments of God and never lose hope!”

M. Russell Ballard, “The Joy of Hope Fulfilled,” Ensign, Nov. 1992, 31


“The constant and most recurring question in
our minds, touching every thought and deed of our
lives, should be, ‘Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?’
(Acts 9:6.) The answer to that question comes only
through the Light of Christ and the Holy Ghost.
Fortunate are those who so live that their being is
filled with both” -Ezra T. Benson

The startling wetness of water excites and intoxicates me.
~G.K. Chesterton

Faith is an Oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.
~Khalil Gibran

"Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be hugged."
~President Monson
Sunday Morn. Conf. Oct. 08

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes might be the biggest mistake of all.
~Peter McWilliams

"Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that the power to work is a blessing, and that the love of work is success." David O. McKay

True learning is INNATE and passionate. It requires neither coercion nor cajoling. It springs naturally from our desires to grow, to create, to master, and to make meaning of life.

"I've no interest in schools. They have no relevance in the 21st century. They were a Victorian idea to get kids off the street. Who decided that putting 30 kids with only their age in common in a classroom with one teacher was the best way of educating? At my school there were 52 kids in the class and all I learned was how to pass the 11-plus. Testing is the death of education. Kids should leave school at 11 and go to work. Not down the mines or up chimneys, mind, but working with computers or something relevant. Everything I learned after 11 was a waste of time. Trigonometry, Boyle's law: it's never been of any use to me. They should have been teaching me the life skills I was going to need, such as building relationships, parenting and managing money. I didn't have a clue about any of these things at 18. Schools need to change."
-Terry Deary-

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

"It is our choices that make us who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

-Albus Dumbledore

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
Roald Dahl


2 comments:

melseg said...

Those are beautiful quotes. I'll admit though I was hoping that they would be quotes from your cute kids or funny things that you said to them, like quit licking your brother or something crazy like that. Remember that while the quotes you posted are amazing and thought provoking one day it will be the words that were spoken by you and your children that will really inspire you and will mean the most :)

Linda said...

Fabulous quotes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...