Friday, March 2, 2012

Fruit and Chocolate

Last night I finally found a recipe that Pmc likes that uses cucumbers. In case you didn't already know this Pmc and I are not very similar when it comes to food. That's kind of a big deal in marriage when it's something we do throughout almost every day! The best way to sum up my idea of great food is "if I haven't tried it I love it." His is "I know what I like, why mess with a good thing?" Polar opposites pretty much! He'd be very nearly perfectly happy if I rotated about 30 particular recipes that he loves and never made anything else.

But Bountiful Baskets has helped us to bridge our gap a bit over the last while and simplify our meal-planning in an immense way. Now if I make something new, it's not me he has to blame - it's the basket - which he is fully supportive of.

However, Cdc apparently isn't feeling the same way. Cdc has his daddy's tastes and doesn't understand why we're feeding him things so foreign. His favorite phrase lately is "I don't like it!" which he commonly says upon having food placed on front of him, without having tasted it. It's a good thing Pmc is around because I have no patience for it.

However I really think I'm pretty lucky, because our kids really do a pretty good job eating! They both love fruit, and we have to use it to eat their other fruit. Cpc loves veggies just as much, and Cdc will eat them, even after all his "I don't like it!" Our kids LOVE water, they always want a water bottle with them, and they need refills throughout the day. They love snacking on nuts and they even like fish, just not as much as mommy!

On top of that, these boys beg to read books all the time, and can even sit through 30+ minutes of reading stories, including long ones! They love to be active, try new things, and get outside even in crummy weather. I am not saying all this to brag, in fact I feel like more than anything it's their personalities and the way they influence each other. I recognize that I have played my part by making sure these things are surrounding them and expected of them, and other things that aren't so healthy are limited. But I also feel like I have no idea how hard these things are for other moms/kids, despite great efforts.

I know that at least the fruit thing is something that is innate for my boys, because I craved fruit incessantly during pregnancy with both of them. However, this time around fruit is not nearly so satisfying to me, nor as refreshing! But chocolate on the other hand! I literally can't get enough of it! It just might be reaching addiction levels! Does this mean I'm in for a whole new world of parenting with this little girl? Did this little girl get my mom's sweettooth? Because that is really something serious, and I'm not kidding! That and the fact that this girl is barely 20 weeks and she already has daddy worried about being wrapped around her little finger. He's been talking about the need to learn to be less of a softy with his boys, so that he has some practice before she comes!

And those are my meandering thoughts for the day!

By the way, our little girl looked as healthy as can be for the ultrasound. And we met with a doctor today who specializes in VBA2C, who gave us high hopes of being able to so just that! I know a c-section is still a good possibility, but we also have high hopes that I can finally avoid it! We finally decided to stick with the midwives clinic at the University Hospital, and feeling great about that choice. I know none of that deliberation has been posted on here, but it's been on our minds and in our discussions ever since Cdc was born. We want me and baby to be as healthy and safe as possible, and we feel like our best chance of that is to go this route.

As long as we're on the topic I might as well add in that we have been purposefully secretive about this baby. We thought it would be fun, and it has been. But we also felt so strongly that now was the time to add to our little family, but there were so many unknowns. Pmc hadn't even gotten into school, I was suspicious about not getting sick at all in the first trimester, and not getting to hear the heartbeat at my first appointment. We've almost been afraid to believe it ourselves! But now that Pmc is in school, and loving it, and his job is more stable, and we have student loans, and we've seen our baby healthy as can be - we're just so excited that we're already halfway to meeting our little girl! I wonder if the next 20 weeks will go by as fast as the first 20? Probably not, but a girl can dream can't she?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...