Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm an Expert!

So there's this part in my patriarchal blessing that talks about my vocation in life. I've never really felt like I understood it, and I always go back and forth about what I think it means. Well today, all that changed. I read a post on my cousin's blog, and had my very own epiphany. My vocation is being a wife and mother. I always knew this, but never realized this is what my blessing was referring to specifically.

I am so grateful to be a wife and mother. I am so grateful that I can be a homemaker, all day long. I teach violin lessons, and this is a great source of income for us, which we really need right now. But it's not my vocation. In fact, I learn about mothering from teaching lessons. I got my degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences because I had so many classes I wanted to take in a thousand different "areas." People called it the cop-out major, the one where you didn't have to become good at any one thing. Well, I have become good at one thing, being a homemaker, wife and mother. In fact, I am an expert at it.

No, that doesn't mean that I have it down, and know all the tricks, or that I won't always be learning. I'm an expert at teaching little kids violin, but I don't know everything there is to know. That doesn't mean I can't call myself an expert. Sometimes my husband tells me he wishes I could recognize more often all the things I do right at home. Well, here I am, doing exactly that. I do a lot right. I'm really good at keeping our home clean, and making it a good environment most of the time, at making sure there is always love and acceptance in the atmosphere, at creating learning opportunities, and fun. I often forget that. But I really was blessed in getting my degree in LA&S, because it helped me to learn that. I am good at a lot of things, which really helps in the whole multi-tasking thing we women have to do. I have been able to learn a whole bunch of skills that I really need for being a homemaker. I use these skills ALL the time. I'm good at "being there" for my husband and son, and I think I'll be able to learn to do that for however many kids we end up having. I love my "vocation" and am so glad that I've been blessed to have it. I hope I can always remember this, and trust myself as the expert.

2 comments:

Matt and Piper said...

I understand what you mean about wondering if you're doing the best that you can. I have often wondered why the Lord wants me to work, but I've decided that I'm going to listen and hope that someday I know why. I think that part of it is msf lost his job and we already had some income. I hope that everything is working out.

brittanimae said...

You ARE an amazing homemaker! You have all the skills I sort of skipped . . . much to my detriment now. You're doing a fabulous job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...