Well, we have lots of excuses for why we missed blogging the last couple of weeks, but none of them are any good. I guess sometimes you just need a little time to breathe. We've been trying hard to nail down some plans for the big move and such. It's hard to coordinate things from 2,000 miles away. But the people at 'Cuse have been very helpful so far. We really are amazed that Atec can take up to 24 credits for free while we're there thanks to a great policy at Syracuse - spouses of TA's can take three credits per semester for free!... that's nearly all of the credits required for a Master's degree for her, so we're seriously considering both of us getting Master's degrees out there. Some days that sounds crazy for us to both take on that kind of work, but other days it seems smart, logical, and reasonable. It would take a lot of preparation from Atec to get into the program, but if I can get in, I think she can too. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out... it's not something we're counting on, but maybe it will work out.
We've been settling into a summer routine for the last couple of weeks and I have to admit, it feels GREAT to be done at the U., although I don't love spending 40 hrs. a week at the furniture store. But you do what you have to do, and coming home to a beautiful and caring wife, smiling little boy, and having food on the table gives me enough solace to go out and do it again the next day. Atec and I were talking, and although there have been some frustrations about working at Sterling Furniture, it has been the right job for me for these last few years. It's not something I'd ever want to do long term, but the experience has been helpful. Lately we've found that if I can give Atec an hour in the morning to go on a walk, listen to talks/Ensign articles, read her scriptures, and exercise while I'm responsible for cpc, the days go smoother. It all goes back to one of my mottos... "Happy Wife, Happy Life!" Ok, but seriously, I just love making atec happy.
Cpc has been picking up some new things lately. He loves the warm weather because that means he can play in the water outside. He LOVES water! We're excited to spend many days and evenings at the swim club!
For the past couple of weeks our neighborhood has been a little more exciting to drive through because the city is doing bulk trash pick-ups this week. Random piles of flotsam can be found on every street. This provided us with a chance to have some fun last weekend. Some people I'm sure wouldn't be caught dead taking something out of one of these piles, equating the action to a stray dog stealing food from a trash can. But to this little Cundick family, there was no shame in it at all. One man's trash truly is another's treasure. We got a Weber charcoal grill so that we can better utilize the barbequeing potential of our back porch, as well as a table and 7 chairs so that we can host others when we grill. We've already started to enjoy dinners outside! We got a couple of lounge-style patio chairs to enjoy a few more Utah sunsets before we move. We got a little bug-shaped sand-box/pool for Cpc and a big suitcase for atec's sister. And the best pick-up of all: a lacrosse goal complete with tattered but useable net. Hopefully this doesn't change your opinion of us! (I guess if you already thought we were dirtbags then there's nothing to worry about...)
On Friday I got to go back and play lacrosse with a few guys from high school in the 6th annual Varsity vs. Alumni lacrosse game. It was fun to get out and play, but it made me feel old and out of shape; my calves and thighs are still sore. But I did score a goal and we won 8-5, so the pain is well worth it.
Atec here. I feel the need to go into the Lacrosse thing a little more. For those of you who don't know what lacrosse is, follow the link! Pmc and I both played lacrosse in high school, so it's oursport (the only one I really get into when we watch). We often go to the park to throw balls together, and we really enjoyed watching the championship on Memorial Day, we were very proud that Syracuse won, and we both have to be very careful not to discuss the differences between men's and women's lacrosse (it's an inevitable argument!). So finding a lacrosse goal in a trash pile is a HUGE plus for us, they're not cheap!
Anyway, I'd also love to share a bit more about cpc. He is finally really jumping into the idea of talking. He now says "dada" and (finally) "mama", along with "nana." He knows what the first two mean, and he generally uses "nana" when he wants food, or if you tell him no. He is a definite tease, loves to say "dada" when I tell him to say "mama." He has also learned to sign milk and dog, and he's picking up "more" as we speak. He loves Baby Signing Time, which we get from the library. He learned how to smack his lips from Aunt Cse. He loves cuddle time, especially in the mornings. I feel so privileged to be his mom. I am learning so much from him. He sure has energy, and still flirts a lot. He is slightly slow to warm up to people, but once he's sure he can trust them he really remembers them, even if it's been weeks since he's seen them. He absolutely LOVES to laugh, and really understands what is humorous. It's amazing to watch him pick these things up. He has finally gotten sturdy in his walking abilities, he realized he can't run everywhere without falling over, yet. Whenever you ask him what any animal says, he growls. We have been trying desperately to teach him what a monkey says (since he is one), but he still just growls! He loves to try to clap, do "the diaper dance", and stick out his tongue (mostly to rub his tongue over his 6 teeth).
Personally, I'm desperately trying to keep up with him, as well as hold the bulk of the responsibility for getting things lined up in Syracuse, while Pmc makes the money for the big move. I think that this whole "our own little family" is so fun most of the time, even with it's trials. I love being a homemaker, learning how to create and maintain a good atmosphere in our home.
Sometime in the past few weeks my sister Cdee and her fam came into town. We sure had a blast (as usual) watching Cpc and Lmze interact! Cpc seems to cause a bit of trouble, but Lmze is not afraid of showing where the blame lies. There's also a few other random pictures...playing at the park, the zoo, and something to remind us of what mountains really look like when we move!


1 comment:
What great finds! I don't know why people would just leave that stuff out to be thrown away. Oh well.
I like lacrosse balls too, but I use them to practice my juggling (they work great). :) Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about the actual game.
Post a Comment