Monday, May 4, 2009

The Bittersweet Decision

This decision has been the hardest of my life. Yep, really. Deciding to go on a mission was easier. Deciding to ask Atec to marry me was easier too. I don't know really why it's been so difficult, but I think it's because I'm weighing the options for three people instead of just one.
I had said to Atec all along that the only way Syracuse would offer me the financial help was if it was God's will. I thought I was under-qualified in the first place, and it was a surprise to me when I was even admitted to the program. When the assistantship offer was made, I was scared and doubting whether or not I could really get myself to move 2,000 miles away from home. But after a day, the spirit helped me feel calm and I really do believe that Heavenly Father wants us in Syracuse... there's just no other way to explain what's happened. I am very sad that I have to be so far away from our families.
It's not all bad... Syracuse is only an hour away from Palmyra and the temple there. It's 4 hours from New York City, 5 hours from Boston, 4 hours from Toronto. It's only about 6 hours into the middle of my mission. We'll probably put lots of miles on our car, but it will be such an experience. TecJr. has said a couple of times since I made the decision that he's so excited for us to go out and have some similar experiences to what he and Jbc had in Virginia and Texas. It's going to be a wonderful, difficult, sad, and growth-causing experience for us. Just remember, it's not like a mission... we can call, write, and visit as much as we have the time and money for. And doing this now will really boost my chances for being able to teach back at the U or USU in the long run. That's where I really want to be... I don't want to have to take a teaching job in the middle of nowhere because I didn't have a good enough degree to get hired at the U. Going to Syracuse will open many more doors for me than anywhere else. So I'm taking it.
And that's not all that's been happening to us lately... First up on the "other happenings" list is that I'M GRADUATING ON FRIDAY. WAHOO! I don't really have much else to add. I'll miss the U. for a few reasons, but there will also be things I won't miss.
Cpc is mastering walking. He's pretty darn good considering he's still only 10 1/2 months old. We just adore him, even though he's still not a great sleeper. But we recognize that's a part of his individual personality, and we love ALL of him, the good and the bad, the easy and the difficult. He's also mastering the art of rocking horse bareback ridin'
.
Atec mixes in lots of fun with him between her hard work at home during the day while I'm gone. But she's always grateful when I come home to them and am available to snap some pictures for the memory bank.
That'll do for this week. Here's hoping we get a few more plans laid out by the next post.

2 comments:

brittanimae said...

Are you saying there's something wrong with a job in the middle of nowhere?? Oh, wait. There is. *sigh*

But seriously, I am so excited for you guys. The east is so gorgeous--I miss the gorgeous trees and vivid landscape there even more than I miss Utah's mountains. From what I know of upstate NY, you're bound to meet wonderful people, and I predict that you'll be sad to leave when the time comes. Good luck (and I hope we get to see you at the family reunion before you leave *hint*)!

Julie said...

awwww he's so cute! I love the video :) I'm excited for your new adventures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...