Monday, January 26, 2009

A Day in the Life of the Mother of a Boy

So I'm sure it's totally possible for this to happen with a girl too.....but it just seemed like the kind of thing for a boy to do!

Actually the story began on Thursday. Pmc and I had decided that for our Anniversary gifts to each other, we would buy ourselves new sheets & a matching duvet. We have been slow on the process of choosing them and getting them ordered, but they finally arrived on Thursday. Now, to limit the number of loads of laundry I do, I usually only wash the sheets every other week. So for us, as of last night, we still had clean sheets.

Skip to Saturday. After a few weeks of giving cpc a break for not sleeping well at night, we decided there was something more to his not sleeping than the move. We decide that maybe cpc is not getting enough food (solids & milk), and decide to load him up a little more during the day. The reasons for this decision are many, but the main one being that he only stops eating when there is no more food to give him ( literally, he eats 10+ ounces in a sitting, at least 4 times a day, plus all the breastmilk).

Sunday, we feed him TONS of extra food, and I offer him breastmilk like 8 times (of which he happily partakes). 11:00pm cpc falls asleep on his own, Mom & Dad cruise to bed.

Monday 6:00am (after a few more night-wakings than are preffered), I hear him crying. I roll over and ask pmc to go get him and bring him in with us to eat. Pmc comes in and says "his jammies are wet, do you want to change his diaper?" to which I respond (half-asleep) with "just grab a blanket to put under him." Now the next part is clearly my own fault, but give me a break, I wasn't thinking clearly. However, let it be known, that we have only changed cpc's diaper during the night like 3 times since he was born.....he's just been good that way!

8:00am, cpc starts wiggling in my arms, and I realize it's time to get up. So I sit up and pick him up, realizing that he is so wet that he soaked through the blanket and got the sheets wet. My nice clean sheets....grr! So I take him into his bedroom to change his diaper, and get the wet clothes off him. I take off his diaper, and in order to get his wet clothes off him without getting his whole body contaminated, I pick him up thinking he can't possibly have any more in his system to pee on me with. WRONG! This is the part where I call for pmc to come help me (so cpc and I can jump in the shower and soap up a bit, and pmc comes in and just laughs at me.

9:30am, we head out the door to drop pmc off at work and go to Costco, as I realize I didn't get any of the wet stuff in the wash.

11:00am, we are back home checking email when I realize cpc stinks. But he is grunting, which means he's still working on filling his diaper, so I'll let him finish.

11:02am, I realize that my shirt is once again wet, but this time it has a brownish hue. So, off to the stripping & showering AGAIN, but this time without pmc's help. When I pulled cpc's clothes off this time however, the diaper was so full that it literally couldn't hold all the poop in it. Good thing I didn't start the laundry earlier huh?

I'm sure this is pretty typical for a lot of moms, but I guess it kinda shocked me because cpc RARELY soaks through a diaper. He's had a few little leaks here and there. But these two diapers I'm speaking of were TOTALLY and COMPLETELY full, one wet, and one not!

Now I have showered twice, when I usually only shower every other day due to my dry skin, and it's not even shower day. I've done 2 loads of laundry and it's not laundry day. AND IT"S NOT EVEN NOON YET! Be grateful that I didn't take any pictures! Did I actually sign up for this willingly?

I'll give a real update  on our week when I get home from bowling this afternoon!

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Oh, this post made me giggle (not that I have children, so I can't really empathize). I think cpc is letting you know he's gettin' to be a BIG boy now; he's not a wee babe! I definitely do NOT envy THESE types of experiences. :)

Piper said...

So here's what I think. Have you tried putting him in bigger diapers? I know it sounds like duh but my kids are so skinny that they are way below the weight on the diapers, but it's the only way that they don't soak through. My other advise on the not sleeping is, don't give into it. The best thing to do, is let him cry it out. I know it's hard but it only takes 3 nights and then you have your nights back. Let me know if that works, or if you even have the patience for it.:(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...