Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Recording Memories

Throughout the week I often think "I should write about that/this on the blog this week." Usually when I finally sit down to write, more than half of it is gone. I'm not sure if that's due to the fact that my brain is still recovering from pregnancy, or if my brain just can't hold very much in general. But I hate that there are so many memories that have come and gone without being recorded. I know everything doesn't need to be recorded....but I love the feeling of reliving special moments. It brings me such joy, and reminds me how wonderful life is now. So I guess I just need to be content to balance between living now, reliving the past, and recording the now for future reference. I learned one important lesson about that this week.

We finally got one of these big "NorEaster's" everyone has been so hyped up about. Yes, we've been missing out on them until now. I didn't realize how big the storm had been until the day after when we finally got to go out and play in the snow. We got Cdc down for a nap just after Cpc's nap, so we had some time for Pmc and I to go outside together with Cpc. I thought we were going to build a snowman, but Pmc had much greater plans. Snowmen just aren't that much fun once they're built. So he built a slide. I think Cpc could have stayed outside on that slide until dark if his coat hadn't soaked through. So what was my important lesson about memories? I don't always have to interrupt special moments the second I realize that it is one to grab the camera. I can enjoy it first! Yes, that means that sometimes I'll miss some good pictures, but that's okay....because pictures don't do memories justice anyway. Sometimes it's perfectly okay to just record it in my memory and enjoy it without interruption.

So, after we enjoyed the snow-slide for a little while, we finally went and got the camera to do a little video!

Our big disappointment this week is that my mom didn't make it out to visit because of the storm, and Delta Airlines. After she got to Cincinnati, her flight to Syracuse got canceled due to the storm. Well, they kindly rescheduled her. However, they made a mistake on the rescheduling....and she just ended up having to go back home. Then, they told her they weren't sure if they were going to be able to refund her money. Delta and I are NOT friends right now.

So now we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Aunt Ace in a couple weeks. We really love visitors, and even though I'm mostly recovered, I really would love a little extra help! We're also really excited to go to the temple again, it has been too long.

Pmc has been so diligent with school-work lately that he's been much more relaxed at home! He's even been getting up in the mornings with Cpc for a little while to let me get some extra sleep. He's also finally gotten to some fun projects he's been wanting to do....like putting together the crib, putting up our curtains on the front window, and putting a lacrosse ball on our stick shift in the car. Speaking of lacrosse, we're SO excited for the season. He gets into games free, and Cpc and I might also be able to! We're so excited to introduce Cpc to our favorite sport LIVE IN ACTION!!! For those who don't follow lacrosse, Syracuse won the National Championship last year, so this is a big deal for us lacrosse fans! Pmc also just bought him his first stick, but I think he's saving it for his birthday.

I (Atec) have really made progress on my projects. I've finished some sheets for Cpc, and hope to have the rest finished by the end of the week (I'm making 4 full sets). Then I can start on the bumpers, quilts, and bed-skirts. I also finally finished my mission photo album and am going to make a quick slideshow of my mission next. Last but certainly not least, I finished our taxes last night. I think one of the best parts of not teaching violin lessons anymore, is not having to figure out Self-Employment tax. Those forms are SO CONFUSING!!!!

Cpc is really starting to GET language. Before now he's understood a lot, and even been able say/sign many words. But he's finally starting to use those words on his own initiative. This morning Pmc opened the cupboard and he said and signed "cracker," pointed to the crackers, said/signed "please" and went to climb in his highchair, fully expecting to get some. We are so excited about this big step, and to see the connection between using a word and getting exactly what he wants. Furthermore I realized today that he know MANY more words than I thought. I started signing different words to him, and he would then sign and say the word back to me. I hate that I'm not more fluent in ASL because then he would actually know a different language, rather than just a bunch of words in another language. Maybe it will motivate me a bit to practice a little more!

Cdc is certainly not a newborn any more. He has a totally chubby face, and he is so aware, and awake so much more! He is following things with his eyes really well, and holding his head up like a champ. He slept 8 hours straight last night, and has been doing 6 hours pretty regularly too. He has finally reached the point where I don't have to do middle-of-the-night diaper changes. He will sleep just fine in his cradle if he's swaddled, but the most surefire way to wake him up is to put him in the swing. He's mostly in sync with the family schedule, which is making things run much smoother. The best news though is that he still likes to nuzzle his head into the crook of my neck, so I'm feeling confident that it's a personality thing and not just a newborn thing for him. Since Cpc is my "little monkey," Cdc has been termed my "little bear." The two names definitely express their differences. We think Cdc looks most like me so far, but we haven't pulled out any baby pictures yet (although organizing our pictures/albums from growing up is one of my next projects).
And that's the family news!

4 comments:

Allison said...

What cuties! I love the cuddling pic of you and cdc and the video of the slide had me chuckling. I now suddenly miss the snow, although not enough to move to colder climates again :) I'm quite content in my 60 degree weather here in sunny FL :)

I too mean to blog about things I want to remember, ie conversations with Dylan, funny things Grant does and so on. Sometimes that's just not possible though with our day to day lives of motherhood. I'm going to try to keep a notebook handy to jot things down so that when I can sit and blog, I can flip back through and remember what I wanted to blog about. We'll see if it works though :)

Jennifer said...

What a great idea to make a snow slide! It looks like he really enjoyed it. :)

How disappointing about the airline/weather situation preventing your Mom's visit. Hopefully you guys can still get together before too long.

It sounds like you are all doing great staying on top of all your projects and having lots of fun at the same time!

Greg and Michelle said...

What a precious picture of the two of you:)

Linda said...

So sorry about your mom's flight! Fun to read these details. Kiss those babies for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...