We took Pmc to Five Guys for his Birthday Dinner. He was happy as a clam.
In case you couldn't tell, so was Cpc! Particularly the YELLOW variety!
You wouldn't call this brainwashing would you? These cousins LOVE the Red Sox!
I'm still trying to convince Pmc that skiing is the best. But he really did have fun this year!
My mother made (as in sewed) me and my five siblings matching outfits for Easter and Christmas every year. It was a perfect time for family pictures, and even though it's a very outward thing - I think it was a great way reminder for us of how special these two holidays are. As well as how Christ is what our families should be centered around. So I still try to get us dressed up special for these holidays. Easter and Christmas were a little tricky for me this year since we weren't in our own space. I love traditions, and it was a little tricky to implement them this year. But, we also got a chance to talk more about traditions we want to have with our kids. We had some great talks about Christ and the symbols involved with these two holidays. Our biggest discussion focused on how the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus are such good ways for children to learn about Christ. "Jesus died for you" is a very difficult thing for a child to comprehend. They don't even really grasp death, so telling a child that it is "for" him/her is just way beyond their capacity. The idea of "resurrection" is pretty incomprehensible to children, but we LOVE using Pmc's "Resurrection eggs" (deviled eggs) to help our kids understand that one. I think most children can understand celebrating a birthday, but not necessarily why Christ's birth was a gift to them. But for that child to receive gifts from a person that they only know through the eyes of others and a once-a-year visit to the mall for 2 minutes, that is something they can comprehend. At least a little bit over time. So-called "pagan" traditions can really be such useful tools and I am grateful that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny visit our family each year to remind us to be more thoughtful, giving and loving - like our Savior Jesus Christ. And I'm grateful for the many hours my mother put into our Easter/Christmas dresses so that we could remember that we should "be our best" for Christ's sake.

No comments:
Post a Comment