It's now a few days after I wrote the following post. I know I was going to go through and edit it, and put in particular pictures, but if I don't just get this posted now it will never happen! So we're leaving some things out, the pictures aren't organized, and I'm okay with that. We'll do better at keeping up week to week, we must!!!!!
Cdc is doing fantastic. He hasn't had a single episode, and we even got to take him off of the medications, which we're very pleased about since they were making him MOODY!!! I am eternally grateful that he is such a mellow child. Lately he has been rolling all over the place, loves to prop himself up on his elbows, and is desperate to learn to sit up on his own. Whenever he is in his swing or carseat, he leans forward trying to sit up. He loves his solid food and prefers to eat 8 times a day. He likes apples, pears, bananas, avocado's and rice. He only likes oatmeal if I mix it with other foods. He can hardly stay focused when breastfeeding these days. When people ask me how he's doing I just say he's "as cuddly as ever." He needs his own crib and stuffed dog to sleep well, but as long as he has those he'll sleep pretty much as long as I want him to. He always wakes up happy, and entertains himself in bed until I come to get him. He definitely lets me know it if I have waited too long to feed him or put him down to sleep though. He still has a tender heart, but he's even mellowed out on that (he's not nearly as jumpy!). If I talk in a stern voice to anyone, he is the first to cry. Every couple weeks or so he'll have a rough day or two where his sleep gets off, usually in relation to being woken up by Cpc. Then he's pretty grouchy and can't decide whether he's hungry or tired or both. He won't do the trick anymore, but has given to the genie-style trick. His favorite activity's are jumping in the jump-up and watching his brother act crazy.
Cpc is sleeping. As in, he's asleep right now. And he fell asleep calmly. And he has done so for almost two weeks. Melatonin. WOW!!!! So we tried locking the door, and it did wonders for about a week and a half. But then he started RUNNING full speed at the door while SCREAMING bloody murder. He also started sleeping on the floor, which doesn't have carpet. He acted TERRIFIED of his bed. After two nights of that, we were left on a Sunday afternoon with the grouchiest, inconsolable child I have ever met. I knelt down and prayed and suddenly remembered that my mom (and a few others) had suggested Melatonin. So I decided the Ox was in the mire, and headed to the grocery store. I came home, gave it to him and within 10 minutes he was OUT. Well, it certainly hasn't been perfect since then. We've adjusted the dose quite a bit, and it only helps him fall asleep. We still have an average of 2 night-wakings each night, although they are very easily resolved now. The biggest problem is he's started getting up at 5:30 or 6 each morning, which we just can't seem to adjust to. I think I could do it if he weren't waking up throughout the night, but I am just too groggy when he gets up. Anyhow, we are now getting some sleep though, so I'm not going to complain any more. Cpc is still just as passionate as ever, and the SPD has really started affecting his behavior over the last month and a half. When he has good days, they are so great....he just seems like a typical two-year-old. He desperately wants to please me, and tries so hard to do so. He has tantrums when he doesn't get what he wants, but he resolves and moves on. However, the bad days have gotten really bad. He can't transition without a complete meltdown, and sometimes he can't resolve and truly move on for two hours. He wants to spend those days watching movie after movie after movie. He doesn't register the things I say, and he gets hurt over and over and over again all day. He tumbles over nothing, hits and pushes everyone and everything, and rams his head into our legs. Usually it helps a bit to have a squeezing/hugging session for about 15 minutes, or give him a good massage. But sometimes he can't even handle that. I nearly go crazy on these days, wondering both how to handle it and whether I'm capable of doing so.
Cpc didn't qualify for Early Intervention, he missed it by 1/2 a point. They'll let him be re-evaluated in 6 months. The occupational therapist said good parenting can delay the developmental/behavioral effects of the disorder for a time, but it only lasts so long. In the meantime we may just fork out the money for Therapy, which we may even be able to get covered as In-Network (after two hours on the phone during naptime this afternoon). I can tell how much he needs therapy. It is really hard to be stuck in this period of time where the diagnosis of SPD is so new. People still have a hard time accepting that it's real, and there is a lot still to be learned about it. At the same time I am SO grateful that the diagnosis IS there and that we found out about it. I became so tired of the mind battle of whether or not something was wrong. It's easy to look at Cpc and say he's a totally normal kid. It takes a lot of time with him to really see what's happening. I am also grateful that I get to be a stay-at-home mom, and that I studied child development and worked with so many kids....otherwise I wouldn't have recognized that something was off. I have learned to rely on my instincts so much more, I wish I had followed my gut when Cpc was 3 months old and insisted that I knew something wasn't right. I remember thinking "I was the babysitter who moms loved, getting kids to sleep before their parents came home was 'my thing,' he's not responding like a normal child! There's something wrong."
Cpc didn't qualify for Early Intervention, he missed it by 1/2 a point. They'll let him be re-evaluated in 6 months. The occupational therapist said good parenting can delay the developmental/behavioral effects of the disorder for a time, but it only lasts so long. In the meantime we may just fork out the money for Therapy, which we may even be able to get covered as In-Network (after two hours on the phone during naptime this afternoon). I can tell how much he needs therapy. It is really hard to be stuck in this period of time where the diagnosis of SPD is so new. People still have a hard time accepting that it's real, and there is a lot still to be learned about it. At the same time I am SO grateful that the diagnosis IS there and that we found out about it. I became so tired of the mind battle of whether or not something was wrong. It's easy to look at Cpc and say he's a totally normal kid. It takes a lot of time with him to really see what's happening. I am also grateful that I get to be a stay-at-home mom, and that I studied child development and worked with so many kids....otherwise I wouldn't have recognized that something was off. I have learned to rely on my instincts so much more, I wish I had followed my gut when Cpc was 3 months old and insisted that I knew something wasn't right. I remember thinking "I was the babysitter who moms loved, getting kids to sleep before their parents came home was 'my thing,' he's not responding like a normal child! There's something wrong."
Now, amidst all of this, I must also say, I adore and love Cpc with all my heart. He has all the best of my and Pmc's traits. He is hard worker, and really wants to know how to help me. He is developmentally ahead (which is why he didn't qualify) because of his love of learning. He ignores me when I tell him "good job" if he doesn't think he has it figured out yet. He loves to help me do the chores, cook, and take care of Cdc. As soon as I tell him Cdc is awake, he rushes to his bed, and tries to climb in. When we ask him "where's your buddy?" he quickly gives Cdc a hug, kiss or points to him. On his good days, I remember why the "terrible two's" are my favorite stage. He does all those things that are oh so frustrating, but also super funny! My favorite is the way he tests rules. At the grocery store I give him a choice of whether to ride the shopping cart with the car he can drive, or whether to walk along beside me and help me put things in the cart. When he sits in the car, he knows he has to stay inside, but he'll stick an arm or foot out every now and then just to test if I'm going to catch him. We've only smashed his hand once so far.
Pmc is learning a lot about balance. He is doing well at his job. He earned his first raise after one week! He comes home and has dinner and a little family time and then gets right to his school work. His online class is really frustrating because the teacher runs it like a regular school-week. Assignments open Monday and close Friday. Where's the flexibility of the online class? But he's handling it well. Somehow he's got to find some time for working on his Master's Project ASAP!
I am mostly doing the same old....trying to keep some sort of manageable routine, fighting for the proper resources for my kids, and attempting to fit in some things I just really want to do! One of these days I really am going to finish the quilts for the cribs. One of these days. Cpc's sensory processing gave me a great excuse to buy a season pass to the state parks. Green Lakes State Park is 6 miles from our house with a gorgeous beach and lake. I've been spending most days there, and that is really helping me to have time to process everything while creating some great memories with the kids.
We leave in a week and a half for Utah, and we're really excited for that. We can hardly wait to spend time with family, especially SDC & MB who will be married while we're there, and all those who haven't met Cdc yet. I'm stoked to get some time at Bear Lake, because as great as Green Lakes is, it's only a reminder of Bear Lake. I can't wait to waterski!!!!!!!
We are still trying to decide for sure, but I think we'll be moving when we get back. We would save an average of $200/month by moving across the street. The problem is that we can't move in there until Sept. 15, and our landlord wants us to either renew our 1-year lease, or get out. So now we're considering renting a POD and staying with a friend again. Is it really worth all that effort? I'm not sure!
So now that I went through all that, would you like to know what we've actually done for the past month? First, we finally got a chance to Pay it Forward. We got a phone call from a couple who had moved here but were having a hard time finding a place to live. So of course Pmc immediately told them to get out of their hotel room and come stay with us. They stayed with us the weekend of July 4th and we had a blast with them until the found a place to live. Cpc enjoyed having their 18-month-old daughter to play with, although he was definitely ready to have his space back by the time they found an apartment.
Next, Grams and Papa came to visit, which was a blast! We went to Niagara Falls, and then Toronto. We went to a Red Sox game of course, and we got to see my dear Aunt H and Uncle C! Before my mission I lived at their house in California for about 5 months. They called me their summer daughter, and my uncle wrote me letters during my mission and signed them "S.D." for Summer Dad. I adore them. Uncle C is currently serving as President of the Toronto East Mission. We also went to the Toronto Zoo, which has a fantastic spray park that was way better than the zoo (although we might not have thought so if it wasn't too hot to breathe!). When we got back from Toronto we took advantage of free babysitters and went on a date. We're really loving finding simple/cheap dates lately. Recently we went to the train tracks by Pmc's job, picked wildflowers and put pennies on the track to get pressed. Last night we played frisbee golf at the state park. I LOVE continued courtship.
After they went back to Utah is when I bought the beach pass, and we've been doing that pretty much every day, breaking it up with an occasional trip to the berry fields. Oh how I love summer.
Pmc is learning a lot about balance. He is doing well at his job. He earned his first raise after one week! He comes home and has dinner and a little family time and then gets right to his school work. His online class is really frustrating because the teacher runs it like a regular school-week. Assignments open Monday and close Friday. Where's the flexibility of the online class? But he's handling it well. Somehow he's got to find some time for working on his Master's Project ASAP!
I am mostly doing the same old....trying to keep some sort of manageable routine, fighting for the proper resources for my kids, and attempting to fit in some things I just really want to do! One of these days I really am going to finish the quilts for the cribs. One of these days. Cpc's sensory processing gave me a great excuse to buy a season pass to the state parks. Green Lakes State Park is 6 miles from our house with a gorgeous beach and lake. I've been spending most days there, and that is really helping me to have time to process everything while creating some great memories with the kids.
We leave in a week and a half for Utah, and we're really excited for that. We can hardly wait to spend time with family, especially SDC & MB who will be married while we're there, and all those who haven't met Cdc yet. I'm stoked to get some time at Bear Lake, because as great as Green Lakes is, it's only a reminder of Bear Lake. I can't wait to waterski!!!!!!!
We are still trying to decide for sure, but I think we'll be moving when we get back. We would save an average of $200/month by moving across the street. The problem is that we can't move in there until Sept. 15, and our landlord wants us to either renew our 1-year lease, or get out. So now we're considering renting a POD and staying with a friend again. Is it really worth all that effort? I'm not sure!
So now that I went through all that, would you like to know what we've actually done for the past month? First, we finally got a chance to Pay it Forward. We got a phone call from a couple who had moved here but were having a hard time finding a place to live. So of course Pmc immediately told them to get out of their hotel room and come stay with us. They stayed with us the weekend of July 4th and we had a blast with them until the found a place to live. Cpc enjoyed having their 18-month-old daughter to play with, although he was definitely ready to have his space back by the time they found an apartment.
Next, Grams and Papa came to visit, which was a blast! We went to Niagara Falls, and then Toronto. We went to a Red Sox game of course, and we got to see my dear Aunt H and Uncle C! Before my mission I lived at their house in California for about 5 months. They called me their summer daughter, and my uncle wrote me letters during my mission and signed them "S.D." for Summer Dad. I adore them. Uncle C is currently serving as President of the Toronto East Mission. We also went to the Toronto Zoo, which has a fantastic spray park that was way better than the zoo (although we might not have thought so if it wasn't too hot to breathe!). When we got back from Toronto we took advantage of free babysitters and went on a date. We're really loving finding simple/cheap dates lately. Recently we went to the train tracks by Pmc's job, picked wildflowers and put pennies on the track to get pressed. Last night we played frisbee golf at the state park. I LOVE continued courtship.
After they went back to Utah is when I bought the beach pass, and we've been doing that pretty much every day, breaking it up with an occasional trip to the berry fields. Oh how I love summer.
4th of July
Red Sox game at Roger's Center Stadium
Toronto Temple
The boy's at the Zoo. Grams took the rest of the pictures, and we haven't gotten them yet!
My sweet Aunt H
Carousel Mall (The "GREEN" mall)
SLEEP!!!!!
Wildflowers
Hill Cumorah Pageant
Waiting at the tire shop, I LOVE how Cpc placed one animal on each lacing-card
I had to get a picture of Cdc in this shirt, even though he was WAY too big for it on the 4th of July.
Blueberry picking, Cpc ate as many berries as I picked and put in the tupperware
Watching a movie in a fort.
Green Lakes state park

3 comments:
Good job Nil--I'd been waiting for your next post! I have a hard time keeping up with everything too, and sometimes just posting it and moving on is the only way to make sure it happens. It was great to get an update on everything going on with you guys. It sounds like it's been a real roller-coaster ride! I'm glad the melatonin has worked for you--waht a blessing! Hooray for that raise too! We'll be thinking of you and missing you at the family reunion--don't have too much fun without us!
Mmmm...those blueberries look delicious. How fun to go and pick them together!
Thanks for the update, can't wait to see you in a week. Glad that the OT is helping some with Cpc. Good OT's are worth their weight in gold. Don't feel too bummed about early intervention--at least from our experience we would have been just as well without them (the ones that serve the East side of SL leave a lot to be desired).
Post a Comment