Some times are pure and great. Others are messy and trying. Those times are really hard sometimes, but it gets you to realize that there's nothing better than a good, pure, happy, easy moment with your family. I'm grateful tonight for parents who taught me to work hard for those moments. This week, we thankfully have had many more pure and great moments than messy, trying moments.
Although it's been a whole new ballgame, we are learning how to do this "parents of two" thing. It was nice to be the cute young couple with a little kid, but when you have two you are a bona fide family! We fill up a small pew at church now (though we haven't been together yet and won't for weeks to come - who'd take their newborn into that germ haven in the dead of a Syracuse winter? Not us!) It seems like there's always a mess somewhere, and it's harder to stay out of each other's way (or find some place quiet if you need it. Come to think of it, need has become a lot more relative...) I (Pmc) am even starting to see why so many families drive minivans. Not that we'll be getting one any time soon. Or ever.
Cpc is taking everything really well though, thanks, I'm sure, in large part to the fact that Grams came out from SLC to help out.

His sleep issues have nearly disappeared - he goes to bed nicely and sleeps well through the night. Now if he could just kick this cold once and for all! Thank heavens for Mentholatum cherry chest rub for kids. He's a great big brother. He loves to hold Cdc each night and has to kiss him before bed, just like Mommy and Daddy - I think he clearly knows that Cdc is part of the family and here to stay. I can't think of a single instance of jealousy - yet. He's been such a trooper through the transition that we rewarded him yesterday with his first pet: a goldfish! (Which I think he named "Heath", but Atec insists it's "She", as in fiSHY... but he can't be called "She", because She is a he and that gets confusing to a toddler).

We are amazed by the differences we see already between the way Cpc was, and the way Cdc is. Cdc is totally the cuddly little newborn, unlike Cpc who seemed to come out 3 months old. Cdc has his own cuteness, different than cpc, but just as charming! I (Atec) am in Heaven with a tiny little package to hold on my shoulder all day long. Cdc sleeps about 20 hours a day, and likely spends half of them in my arms. The short hours he's awake are cherished by all as we watch his eyes trying to focus and take things in. His circulation isn't fantastic, so I enjoy giving him little massages to get his blood flowing to his purple toes. I adore the way he shivers when he gets too cold. He has tiny little stick legs and arms, and no waist. He also has one of those sweet little button noses, with tiny nostrils. His super blond, silky hair melts me. Of all his daily adventures, his least favorite is getting his diaper changed. He's even very patient when Cpc ambushes him occasionally. He just has a little, quiet cry in him right now, which is really cute. Despite its mild tone and volume, however, it is accompanied by a sad and upset face which would rival the look of even the most experienced martyr.

I'm also loving the chance to show Cpc how to be gentle with Cdc. There are so many teaching opportunities throughout each day, and I couldn't be more pleased with that. Now I just wish I could take better advantage of the ones where I start to lose my cool. Cpc's lack of concrete communication skills, and his strong will and passion, can make situations volatile rather abruptly. But he's building his vocabulary day by day. And I am definitely fine tuning my parenting skills. Believe it or not, the toddler/terrible two's stage is still my favorite!
Today, since it is Super Bowl Sunday, I (Pmc) would also like to express my gratitude for the digital television transition that took place last summer. We never took the initiative to get a coupon for a converter box, the budget hit to just by one, or the contractual suicide to get digital cable/satellite. It took me a while to be truly grateful for it, but I found that happy place. In one of my classes this week, it was mentioned how one expert calls TV "the part-time job that every American has", since the average American spends 20 hours per week watching TV. That was when the realization of how much I no longer care for TV, and gratitude for that, began to hit me. I realized today that I have seen no more than about 15 snaps of NFL action this season, and I honestly hardly miss it. As I pondered that thought, I also had the disheartening thought that I couldn't identify anything substantial that I had been able to do with the time I saved by not watching. However, Atec assured me that what I had gained by abandoning even casual NFL fandom is a thousand special moments with my family. Now that there is another new little boy in my life to divide my time with, those thousand moments are even more invaluable.

Tonight, instead of watching the Saints and Colts face off in S.B. XLIV, we took some new family pictures and played Candyland. Time well spent for me. (Note: I am in no way trying to imply that watching the Superbowl was a waste of time for those of you who may have done that, provided you watched it with your family!) For me, there could have been nothing better tonight.
Although it's been a whole new ballgame, we are learning how to do this "parents of two" thing. It was nice to be the cute young couple with a little kid, but when you have two you are a bona fide family! We fill up a small pew at church now (though we haven't been together yet and won't for weeks to come - who'd take their newborn into that germ haven in the dead of a Syracuse winter? Not us!) It seems like there's always a mess somewhere, and it's harder to stay out of each other's way (or find some place quiet if you need it. Come to think of it, need has become a lot more relative...) I (Pmc) am even starting to see why so many families drive minivans. Not that we'll be getting one any time soon. Or ever.
Cpc is taking everything really well though, thanks, I'm sure, in large part to the fact that Grams came out from SLC to help out.
His sleep issues have nearly disappeared - he goes to bed nicely and sleeps well through the night. Now if he could just kick this cold once and for all! Thank heavens for Mentholatum cherry chest rub for kids. He's a great big brother. He loves to hold Cdc each night and has to kiss him before bed, just like Mommy and Daddy - I think he clearly knows that Cdc is part of the family and here to stay. I can't think of a single instance of jealousy - yet. He's been such a trooper through the transition that we rewarded him yesterday with his first pet: a goldfish! (Which I think he named "Heath", but Atec insists it's "She", as in fiSHY... but he can't be called "She", because She is a he and that gets confusing to a toddler).
We are amazed by the differences we see already between the way Cpc was, and the way Cdc is. Cdc is totally the cuddly little newborn, unlike Cpc who seemed to come out 3 months old. Cdc has his own cuteness, different than cpc, but just as charming! I (Atec) am in Heaven with a tiny little package to hold on my shoulder all day long. Cdc sleeps about 20 hours a day, and likely spends half of them in my arms. The short hours he's awake are cherished by all as we watch his eyes trying to focus and take things in. His circulation isn't fantastic, so I enjoy giving him little massages to get his blood flowing to his purple toes. I adore the way he shivers when he gets too cold. He has tiny little stick legs and arms, and no waist. He also has one of those sweet little button noses, with tiny nostrils. His super blond, silky hair melts me. Of all his daily adventures, his least favorite is getting his diaper changed. He's even very patient when Cpc ambushes him occasionally. He just has a little, quiet cry in him right now, which is really cute. Despite its mild tone and volume, however, it is accompanied by a sad and upset face which would rival the look of even the most experienced martyr.
I'm also loving the chance to show Cpc how to be gentle with Cdc. There are so many teaching opportunities throughout each day, and I couldn't be more pleased with that. Now I just wish I could take better advantage of the ones where I start to lose my cool. Cpc's lack of concrete communication skills, and his strong will and passion, can make situations volatile rather abruptly. But he's building his vocabulary day by day. And I am definitely fine tuning my parenting skills. Believe it or not, the toddler/terrible two's stage is still my favorite!
Today, since it is Super Bowl Sunday, I (Pmc) would also like to express my gratitude for the digital television transition that took place last summer. We never took the initiative to get a coupon for a converter box, the budget hit to just by one, or the contractual suicide to get digital cable/satellite. It took me a while to be truly grateful for it, but I found that happy place. In one of my classes this week, it was mentioned how one expert calls TV "the part-time job that every American has", since the average American spends 20 hours per week watching TV. That was when the realization of how much I no longer care for TV, and gratitude for that, began to hit me. I realized today that I have seen no more than about 15 snaps of NFL action this season, and I honestly hardly miss it. As I pondered that thought, I also had the disheartening thought that I couldn't identify anything substantial that I had been able to do with the time I saved by not watching. However, Atec assured me that what I had gained by abandoning even casual NFL fandom is a thousand special moments with my family. Now that there is another new little boy in my life to divide my time with, those thousand moments are even more invaluable.
Tonight, instead of watching the Saints and Colts face off in S.B. XLIV, we took some new family pictures and played Candyland. Time well spent for me. (Note: I am in no way trying to imply that watching the Superbowl was a waste of time for those of you who may have done that, provided you watched it with your family!) For me, there could have been nothing better tonight.


6 comments:
First things first: Tenille, your hair looks FANTASTIC! I love that look on you!
As for those kiddos, they're killing me with the cuteness. I'm also thrilled that my fears about the name you chose were unfounded--he sounds like a true charmer, lol! Those golden little crowns of hair really are irresistable, aren't they?
And congrats on ditching the TV--we've done that a handful of times for various reasons (no reception, etc.), and each time we've been amazed once we started watching again just how annoying most programs are. You can definitely use the extra time with a newborn (although I'm sorry Tenille doesn't get the entertainment during the middle of the night feedings!)
Love you guys!
Um, "irrisistible," sorry.
Hey, we didn't hear about this birth! I'm hooked up to your blog and nothing showed up...but we have been in the Middle East and India and there were a few days when we couldn't get blog information. When was he born? How much did he weight? How did the removal of the mass go?
He is so darn cute! We need the name! Use email if necessary. We're dyin' here! You look terrific so things must have gone well!
Kiss that adorable baby for us!
Nilly...I agree with Britt...cute hair! And nice piano too...hope you guys are enjoying it...hehe! I do wish we had one, but alas, we don't. You have inspired me to be better at taking pictures of Samantha....regretfully she has truly been treated as the 2nd child in that aspect....very few pictures of her. Time to get snapping...
awww...cute little guy! Congrats on the new addition. Two is a little bit of an adjustment but at least you still have man on man power :)
I have to admit I've been blog-stalking your family since you left to go back to Syracuse. Hope that isn't too weird! It's so fun to see pictures of that adorable baby! I'm also glad to see that clark is adjusting to having his little brother around. :)
Post a Comment